I thought this would never happen. But Brexit is reality now – at least the legally non-binding referendum, caused by a prime minister who gambled away the entire UK in a political bet, right-wing politicians whose only tools are fear mongering, lies and dividing the British society and a careerist who is ready to trade perhaps millions jobs for the office of the Prime Minister. Or what will be left of the UK, when Scotland and Northern Ireland vote to Leave the UK to become part of the European Union.
The Leave voters are speaking of “Independence Day” and “taking back the country” and such, but what is that independence? No more European laws which are btw. not made to harass someone but because they have a purpose like environment protection, better work conditions, common standards etc. This is sometimes inconvenient for the individual but generally better for all. Do you think the laws in the UK will be much different or even better?
UKIP and other dodgy people know very well how to pervert facts and many people are taken in by their lies. They lie and before someone can prove them wrong, the lie is out in the wild and it is hard to impossible to recapture it. If you want to know how much you can trust the Nigel Farages in this world, here a little didactic play how much you can trust them, even in the core adverts of their campaign. (good read here about post-truth politicians)
But enough of that. I think most of the readers were as shocked as I am, many now realize what an massive and unclear impact the result of the referendum will have.
There are good reasons to oppose the referendum and use all (legal) means, to change thinking of people. Some are:
- The referendum is not legal binding. As long as Britain does not officially declare it’s wish to leave, nothing happens. But the EU is pushing for it.
- Especially the Leave campaign lied, so many voters voted based on wrong facts, nationalist propaganda or plain lies. If people had known the truth and facts about many topics, they would have voted Remain. Also don’t accept their argument that this is democracy. If one side acts so foul and manipulates so much, it is exactly not democracy. Don’t let them get away with their lies or even win.
- The younger people who wanted to Remain have to deal longer than any ofter group with the impact of Brexit
- The vote was too close. Therefore there are often ⅔ majorities required, if the election result has a big impact and which is the case here. But the difference here was only 3.8%.
- Right-wing groups and parties are financially supported by Russia which has interest in destabilizing Europe (some will think this is some crazy conspiracy theory but you can google it. You will find articles and proof about that in serious and trustworthy media).
- Why not?
But what can be done? If I were a young Brit, I would organise a movement, a revolution. Why not show the rejection of the referendum. That people who are no more in some years, are deciding about your future.
Why not go on a indefinite general strike? Why not paralyse the country? Make everything stand still. You have the power to do that. And you have the right to rally and to speak up.
It is about your future and if you believe that the European Union is not only an economical entity but something bigger, a community that brought peace to Europe after centuries of bloodshed, a community of solidarity and a visionary idea, then start to act and show these relentless, indecent politicians who the people are, who the future of your country will be.
If you do not know how to start a movement, here some ideas for first steps:
- Find some people to join you. That should not be too hard. In the young age group it is more than 60% who voted Leave as we know :)
- Open a Twitter and a Facebook account to have single points of access to information and coordinate action
- Be positive. Make your message positive
- Be creative. There are many ways to slow down public life or bring it to a halt
- Contact celebrities to join and use their reach and spread your news. As many of you are generation “Harry Potter” and everyone knows that Joan K. Rowling was against Brexit, she could be your first ally. You certainly know very well who also opposed Brexit. Make them your accomplices.
- Make it a peaceful revolution but with a clear message: No Brexit
Don’t let this people shape your future. Fight for the better. It is possible and you can do it!
If you need help or advice how to organize, please feel free to contact me. I am happy to help. Why? I believe in the idea of the European Union and I also have a son. I don’t want him to live in a world which is about to get ugly, nationalistic and full of hate. I am German btw :)